Moroccans Abroad: Mundo Deportivo Ranks Moroccan Yassine Bounou 10th Best Goalie in Europe
By The Atlas Lions, Feb 6 2019 03:01PM
By Morocco World News -
Rabat – Moroccan goalkeeper Yassine Bounou’s stellar performance with Girona is gaining him recognition across the European footballing spectrum.
Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo has ranked Bounou 10th among “brilliant goal keepers who are having a great season in Europe’s top 5 divisions,” based on their number of saves so far this season.
Bounou has earned the trust of both Girona and the Moroccan national team, where he is the starting goalkeeper.
Of the 10 goalies whose performance outshone the rest of Europe’s elite leagues, only Manchester United’s Spanish goalie De Gea, ranked 4th, was a household name of acknowledged class and reputation.
While keepers like Bounou or Lukasz Fabianski (5th) may not have the flamboyance of Real Madrid’s Courtois or Manchester City’s Ederson or the price tags of Liverpool’s Alison and Chelsea’s Kepa, their performance and importance for their respective teams is no less significant.
In Bounou’s case, while Girona, his current club, languishes in 17th place in La Liga, Spain’s top league, the club’s place in the championship table would have been far lower had it not been for the Moroccan’s form.
Mundo Deportivo’s rankings:
1) Oier Olazabal (Levante, Spain), 96 saves
2) Michael Esser (Hannover, Germany), 94 saves
3) Luis Sepe (Parma, Italy), 92 saves
4) David De Gea (Manchester United, England), 90 saves
5) Lukasz Fabianski (West Ham, England), 88 saves
6) Marco Sportiello (Frosinone, Italy), 88 saves
7) Neil Etheridge (Cardiff, England), 88 saves
8) Sergio Asenjo, (Villarreal, Spain), 86 saves
9) Regis Gurtner (Amiens, France), 83 saves
10) Yassine Bounou (Girona, Spain), 83 saves